CFN is an independent, non-governmental association which unites, represents and facilitates the operations of cooperative societies in Nigeria. Founded in 1945, CFN has 55 member organisations from 36states of the federation plus Federal Capital Territory active in all sectors of the economy.
All registered Co-operative Societies in Nigeria are eligible for membership to the federation. These include all the sectorial apexes, such as the:
- National Cooperative Credits Unions of Nigeria (NACCUN)
- National CooperativeInsurance Society (NCIS)
- National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Organization (NACOMO)
- Nigerian Cooperative Women Alliance (NICOWA)
- National Agricultural Cooperative organization (NACO)
- National Cooperative Youths of Nigeria (NCYN) Etc.
AGM is the highest decision making body for the movement. CFN decides which state of federation to hold its Annual General Meeting annually. In this way, CFN member representatives are able to meet a wide range of co-operators from the host movement, sharing experience and knowledge. Holding a CFN AGM also provides an opportunity for the host movement to engage in dialogue with government representatives and engage national and local media coverage as a means to further promote co-operatives in their own state.
The Annual General Meeting is the highest policy-making body of the CFN, bringing together representatives from all member organisations. The Annual General Meeting allows members:
- Elect the President, the Vice-Presidents, the Board, and youth representatives to the Board;
- Approve CFN annual audited accounts;
- Approve membership subscription and representation as recommended by the board
- Receive annual audits from the board
- Approve CFN Strategic Plan and financial framework
More information AGM > >
- Gain access to CFN as a resource for co-operative expertise, in particular co-operative statistics, information and intelligence
- Participate in capacity building/training programmes
- Exchange of information and technical documents
- Receive and access information on co-operatives including regular publications
- Access member only resources including the CFN Membership Directory, member only information releases, and national co-operative statistics as requested.
- CFN defines and promotes the co-operative difference with media and policy-makers
- CFN represents the co-operative movement in multilateral organisations including the Federal Department of Cooperatives, the United Nations, and others
- Defence for the co-operative movement with state governments at the request of members
CFN Statutes and CFN Bye-Laws
CFN Statutes and Bye-Laws includes information on the organisational structure of CFN, information on member rights including participation, voting and procedures at CFN statutory meetings, information on member obligations including the CFN subscription formula, and procedure for withdrawal of membership.
One of the benefits of membership is receiving CFN COOPNEWS magazine publication directly and free of charge semi-annually.
Contact CFN Consulting Department:
Akeem O. Adebisi (Mr), PAGE Project Manager